November 27-28th, 2012
Kyoto Research Park, Kyoto, JAPAN
Hideki KAMBARA (Hitachi Ltd.) and Mitsuyoshi UEDA (Kyoto University)
Hitachi Ltd., Hitachi High-Technologies Corporation, Fluidigm Corporation, Tateishi Science and Technology Foundation, Japan Science and Technology Agency (JST)
The Society for Single-Cell Surveyor
Cells are the building blocks of life and are the basic units from which complex organisms including human beings are built. Studying single-cells and the biomolecular reactions that occur within them, as well as inter-cellular communications, are key for understanding mechanisms and processes within living organisms. Thus, to understand such phenomena, single-cell analysis is highly crucial. Concurrently, the constant development of new tools and methods to probe cells and to assist or boost science within the single-cell analysis field is also vital. This challenges will require expertise and collaborations between many scientific disciplines and countries in both academia and industry.
In order to face these challenges, the society has established an international network through a series of workshops related to single-cell analysis.
The 5th International Workshop on Approaches to Single-Cell Analysis at Tokyo, Japan, held on 3-4th March, 2011.
The 4th International Workshop on Approaches to Single-Cell Analysis at Beijing, China, held on 17-18, 2009.
The 3rd International Workshop on Approaches to Single-Cell Analysis at Zurich, Switzerland, held on 11-12 September, 2008.
The 2nd International Workshop on Approaches to Single-Cell Analysis at Tokyo, Japan, held on 6-7 September, 2007.
The 1st International Workshop on Approaches to Single-Cell Analysis at Uppsala, Sweden, held on 21-22 June, 2006.
27th November 2012
Opening Remarks (9:00 - 9:05):
KAMBARA, HIdeki (Hitachi Ltd., Japan)
Session 1: Imaging Technology and MEMS (9:05 - 10:35):
KITAMORI, Takehiko (The University of Tokyo, Japan)
NAGAI, Takeharu (Osaka University, Japan)
TAMIYA, Eiichi (Osaka University, Japan)
JU, Huangxian (Nanjing University, China)
Introduction of Analytical Tools from Industrial Fields (10:50 - 11:30)
JONES, Bob (Fluidigm, USA)
NETTIKADAN, Saju (Nano Ink, USA)
KORFHAGE, Christian (Qiagen, Germany)
CHUNG, Jihye (Fujitsu Ltd., Waken B Tech Co. Ltd., Japan)
Poster Short Presentation 1 (11:50 - 12:50)
Poster Presentation 1 with Lunch (12:50 - 14:20)
Session 2: Molecular Tools for Single-Cell Analysis (14:20 - 16:05):
BOXER, Steven (Stanford University, USA)
HAMACHI, Itaru (Kyoto University, Japan)
SÖDERBERG, Ola (Uppsala University, Sweden)
HAZAMA, Hisanao (Osaka University, Japan)
MATSUDA, Michiyuki (Kyoto University, Japan)
General Session (16:25 - 17:37):
WU, Di (Uppsala University, Sweden)
HOSOKAWA, Masahito (Shizuoka Cancer Center Research Institute, Japan)
PLESSY, Charles (RIKEN Omics Science Center)
OKEYO, Kennedy (The University of Tokyo, Japan)
TANAKA, Michihiro (Kyoto University, Japan)
LU, Zuhong (Southeast University)
Evening Chat (18:00 - 20:00)
28th November 2012
Session 3: Omics (9:00 - 10:50):
SHIRAI, Masataka (Hitachi Ltd., Japan)
MELDRUM, Deirdre (Arizona State University, USA)
KONDO, Akihiko (Kobe University, Japan)
LINNARSSON, Sten (Karolinska Institute, Sweden)
FUKUSAKI, Eiichiro (Osaka University, Japan)
Poster Short Presentation 2 (11:00 - 12:00)
Poster Presentation 2 with Lunch (12:00 - 13:30)
Session 4: Developmental and Medical Applications (13:30 - 15:00):
HUANG, Huan (Nanjing Medical University, China)
JAOKO, Walter (Kenya AIDS Vaccine Initiative, Kenya)
SAITOU, Mitinori (Kyoto University, Japan)
YAMATO, Masayuki (Tokyo Women’s Medical University, Japan)
Poster Award Ceremony (15:00 - 15:10)
Session 4 (Continued): (15:30 - 16:55):
NELSON, Alan (Arizona State University, USA)
TAKABAYASHI, Haruo (Kanazawa Medical University, Japan), SEKIZAWA, Akihiko (Showa University School of Medicine, Japan)
HAN, Jian (Hudson Research Institute in Alabama, USA)
ITO, Takashi (The University of Tokyo, Japan)
Closing Remarks (16:55 - 17:00):
BOXER, Steven (Stanford University, USA)
All the participants are cordially invited to have an opportunity for free discussion on the future of single cell analysis from 6pm to 8pm at Kyoto Research Park Building No.1 on November 27th 2012.
April 2nd Opening Date for Registration and Abstract Submission for Poster Presentations September 30th Closing of Early Registration September 30th Abstract Submission Deadline for Presentations1)
1) This abstract submission deadline is for both the oral (invited speakers) and poster presentations.
*The deadline for Early Registration has been extended to September 30th.
Registration will commence on April 2nd, 2012. The following steps will assist you accordingly.
1. Please read the registration information clearly before proceeding with registration (CLICK HERE).
2. Complete the official registration form.
- For online registration, please follow the instructions provided (CLICK HERE).
- For registration via e-mail or fax, you may download the registration form accordingly. Please return the registration form to the SCS2012 Secretariat before the designated deadlines. The return fax number and e-mail address is provided within the registration form (CLICK HERE).
3. Upon completion of registration, you will receive a confirmation notice. Please bring the confirmation notice with you to the symposium. A receipt of the payment will be provided at the registration desk.
*Registration fees includes a congress bag, an abstract book, lunch coupons and invitation to the evening chat. **The deadline for Early Registration has been extended to September 30th.
Early Registration (by September 30th, 2012)
Late Registration (from October 1st, 2012)
Registered Society Members
*Registration fees includes a congress bag, an abstract book, lunch coupons and invitation to the evening chat.
**The deadline for Early Registration has been extended to September 30th.
Abstract Submission for Presentations
In conjunction to the registration, abstract submissions will also commence on April 2nd. Submission details are listed below.
1. Prior to abstract submission, please complete your registration. Refer to the "Registration" section above for details.
2. Upon registration, download the abstract template (SCS2012 Abstract Template).
3. Please submit the abstract to [email@example.com].
- The official language of this workshop is English.
- The abstract should be written in one page, A4 size, including diagrams, graphics and photographs. The necessary instructions are provided within the abstract template.
- Manuscript will be printed in black-and white.
We welcome and provide space for advertising in the form of pages (A4 size) in the abstract booklet or in the form of exhibition booths that will be available throughout the symposium.
1. Please read the following information (CLICK HERE*)
2. Download the registration form (CLICK HERE*) and provide the necessary information to firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Please note that the information and the registration forms are currently in Japanese.
For further inquiries, do not hesitate to contact us at email@example.com.
Thank you to all participants for the poster session abstracts.
Please click on the links below for the Poster Presentation List and the Floor Map:
To all participants for the poster session, please abide to the guidelines below:
"All poster presenters will be requested to make a brief oral presentation in Flash talk format (Please describe the outline of your research within 1 MINUTE)."
"Please check your poster number within the program and prepare your poster for exhibition and power point file (1 slide only) for the short presentation."
"In the poster session, upon selection by the members of the committee, a "Students Poster Award" will be awarded to an excellent researcher.
Please confirm the following:
<Poster session/Short presentation schedule>
Poster number P1-01~37: Day 1 November 27 (TUE)
9:00-10:50 Submission of power point slide for Poster Short Presentation at the registration desk
11:50-12:50 Poster Short Presentation 1 (1 minute flash talk)
12:50-14:20 Poster Presentation
Poster number P2-01~37: Day 2 November 28 (WED)
8:30-10:00 Submission of power point slide for Poster Short Presentation at the registration desk
11:00-12:00 Poster Short Presentation 1 (1 minute flash talk)
12:00-13:30 Poster Presentation
1. Posters should be prepared in A0 (841mm x 1189mm) size.
2. You are required to exhibit your poster for two consecutive days (November 27-28). Please display your poster by 12:50 on November 27th, and take it down after 15:00 on November 28th. The poster session floor will be open on November 27 at 8:30 AM.
<Short presentation for poster presenter>
1. The power point file for the short presentation should be prepared in just 1 slide. (File name should be prepared as "Poster number(PX-XX)_your name.ppt")
2. Please bring your power point file (by USB memory stick) to the registration desk at latest 1 hour before the Poster Short Presentation.
3. Please come to the main stage 15 minutes before the Poster Short Presentation.
4. Poster Short Presentations will be conducted in numerical order based on the Poster number.
To all participants, to assist you in the search for hotels during the symposium, here is a list of hotels that you would like to refer to. Please be aware that this is the season for colored leaves, so many of the hotels within the Kyoto city area will be booked. As an option, we also provide information for some hotels in Otsu, Shiga prefecture.
If in any case our recommended hotels are fully booked, we recommend you to search for hotels within the Osaka or Shiga prefecture. These areas are close to Kyoto city and the access by train is very easy.
ACCESS TO THE RESEARCH PARK
Here, you can find information on the travel routes and transportation services required for you to get to Kyoto Station from Kansai International Airport (KIX) and from Kyoto Station to the Kyoto Research Park. Please CLICK HERE.
c/o Convention Division, Kyoto Research Park Corp.
Chudoji Minami-machi 134, Shimogyo-ku, Kyoto 600-8813, Japan
Fetal DNA Diagnosis from Maternal Blood Worldwide Researchers Conference 2012 (FDD-MB WWRC 2012)
(Co-organized with the International Joint Symposium on Single-Cell Analysis)